Microsoft reportedly paused its talks with ByteDance to buy TikTok’s US operations after Trump said he wouldn’t support a deal

Microsoft reportedly paused its talks with ByteDance to buy TikTok’s US operations after Trump said he wouldn’t support a deal

  • Microsoft paused negotiations with ByteDance over TikTok’s US operations after President Donald Trump stated he wouldn’t support an offer, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • The newspaper reported that Microsoft had remained in “innovative talks” with ByteDance, but those were stalled when the president informed reporters Friday evening that he desired a flat restriction on the Chinese-owned app and not a sale.
  • Trump’s remark to reporters followed a month of his administration publicly threatening to prohibit the app.
  • Authorities like Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have expressed concerns about the possible sharing of user information with China, which TikTok has actually denied.
  • Check out Service Insider’s homepage for more stories

Microsoft is stopping briefly negotiations over TikTok’s US operations in the middle of hostility from President Donald Trump, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

The Journal, mentioning people knowledgeable about the matter, reported that Microsoft and the Chinese moms and dad company ByteDance were in “advanced talks” over a possible sale and were “captured off guard” when Trump voiced his opposition to the deal on Friday.

Trump informed press reporters that evening that he chose a flat ban on the app and wouldn’t support a sale. He had actually threatened to ban the short-form video app via executive order as early as Saturday.

Reuters reported Saturday that ByteDance agreed to divest its US operations to prevent the app being prohibited, leaving Microsoft able to take over entirely.

One source informed The Journal that Trump’s opposition to a sale came as a surprise, and another source informed the paper that the White House had actually previously appeared to desire TikTok to be “American owned.”

The offer isn’t “dead,” according to the Journal’s report, however both companies are seeking more info from the White House on the finest next steps for the app.

Trump’s comment to press reporters on Friday came after a month of openly threatening to prohibit the app. Trump administration officials such as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo revealed concerns about the app’s ties to China and the possible sharing of user information with the Chinese Communist Party. TikTok has denied that it would share user details with the Chinese federal government.

Tiktok’s US General Supervisor Vanessa Pappas appeared in a one-minute video launched Saturday morning in reaction to Trump’s comment about prohibiting the app.

” We’ve heard your profusion of assistance and we wish to state thank you, we’re not preparing on going anywhere,” Pappas said to the neighborhood of users. “TikTok is a home for developers and artists to express themselves, their ideas, and connect with others across different backgrounds and we are so happy with all the various neighborhoods that call TikTok their house.”